Saturday 9 January 2010

LI - Tokyo


Colourful origami (折り紙) cranes at Toshogu shrine, Ueno Park.

Senbazuru (
千羽鶴 - "Thousand Origami Cranes") such as these have a special meaning for Japanese people: there is a legend promising that whoever folds a thousand paper cranes will have their wish granted by a crane, which is one of the mystical creatures (along with dragons and tortoises) that are said to live a thousand years.

After WWII, senbazuru have been associated with the Hiroshima tragedy, and can often be seen hanging from peace & memorial monuments, such as this one in Ueno.

4 comments:

  1. At the oklahoma city memorial, they have 1000 golden cranes in one room, it is really beautiful. I love the color of the origami paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely photo and thanks for giving me a piece of information. I knew that cranes were special to the Japanese, but I never knew that folding 1000 origami cranes would grant a wish. What a beautiful thought.


    I am lullabye123 from swap-bot. We were not partnered in the swap, but I HAD to check everyone's blogs out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello

    I am following your blog from the be my blog follower from blogspot.(Inekevos)
    What a beatiful pictures !!

    Regards Ineke

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you need any cupcake recipes, I'm your man! BTW, I had a friend who lived in Japan for a couple of years teaching English. I can always put you in touch (she comments regularly on my blog).

    I'm excited to explore your blog further and to see what you post in the coming year!

    -Mark (superstarchefmark) "Be my Blog Follower" -swapbot-

    ReplyDelete